Monday, August 6, 2007

Something to blog about

So I've never in my lifetime found some great treasure in someone elses garbage. When I lived in Philly, the minute you would put an old piece of junky furniture on your curb, it would be gone. So now that we're in Allentown, and realizing that we will only be here for a year, we're not investing a lot into decorating. One evening last week, I was out walking, and I saw that someone had thrown away a perfectly nice desk. I really needed a place to sew, and it was perfect because it was free, and when we move in June, I won't feel bad junking it--or maybe selling it$$.I coaxed Owen into grabbing it before the garbage man got to it, and we hauled the heavy thing into the basement. Well......just our luck, we had a sewer line break and our basement was completely flooded. Needless to say, it has been a complete nightmare, and we've had to throw away a lot of the kids toys, and anything wood. Which would be our desk that we worked so hard to get downstairs and we only had it for 6 days. Quite disappointing. SO the best part of the story is that tonight we decided to trash the kids wooden play table and chairs. Even though we bleached it, we just felt it was better to ditch it. We put it out to the curb, and within 1 hour, 4 different people came to load it into their car. Each time I quickly ran out to tell them that it had soaked in sewege and that they probably wouldn't want it. OUt of fairness, I decided to hang a note on it that said it was nasty and that they really wouldn't want it. 5 minutes after I hung the sign, the table and chair was gone. YOu know what they say, "One man's junk, is another man's treasure!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Sad. So what did your landlord do to compensate your losses? It's a hard thing to deal with. Oh, I pray this never happens to us!! Only 9 more months and then you are outta there!

Lynnette said...

At least the desk the was ruined was free - but still, what a pain!!

Angela said...

So funny about the furniture on the curb. It's so true & it makes me laugh. Of course, I wonder how many people see me taking the "junk" off their curb too!

Cathie said...

UNBELIEVABLE! You were so thoughtful to warn them!

Sharisse said...

Hey Holly, I always enjoy the stories on your site. Call us when you come to visit your mom! We can go hang out at Cafe Rio and leave our kids with the grandparents:)

Cox Family said...

Sorry to hear about the sewage. I know about flooding, but I've never dealt with that gross stuff. You didn't have to get rid of anything real important?